Thursday, October 23, 2008

Episode II: CNN, the mullet, and the Republican party

In an effort to avoid doing any real work today I have entered my schools hub of unproductivity: the computer lab. The computer lab at central contains about 100 or so students at any given time. Out of those 100 I estimate that about 5-6 of them are actually doing anything school related. As for the rest of these people there is a fair amount of email checking, instant messaging, myspace page updating and even some CNN watching going on. Speaking of CNN Id like to share with you one of my favorite CNN moments: About a month ago CCN was covering a speach being given by a one Sarah Palin. Nothing unusual at first, this particular speach was being given in the middle of a large, monoethnic crowd of people, typical republican rally. But as the camera panned across the crowed a man in the front row caught my eye. What set him appart from the rest of the group was the fact that he was sporting a typical red-neck hair style, commonly refered to as the mullet. "How funny" i thought to myself "a perfect example of someone who looks like they would be a Mcain/Palin voter". But then i started to wonder why no one else around him seemed to notice...was this such a nomal occerance at these things that no one gave any thought to the fact that some one with a rediculously hilarious hair cut was standing right in front of the camera on national televsion? Then I started to think about what kind of peson would go to these rallys anyways and I discovered I couldnt do it, I couldnt immidiatly figure out why ANYONE would think this was a good team to be on. clearly this would take considerably more thought then I had first expected, "Id better go get a snack" I thought "this could be a long one".
I returned 20 minutes later and I was still drawing a blank, when I remembered something that happened years ago that i didnt understand the significance of untill just then. The year was 1992, I was in my first grade elemetary school class and since it was an election year our class decided to do a mock election. As some of you may or may not remember the two major canidates for the 1992 election were Bill Clinton and George H. W. Bush. Anyways our teacher explained what an election ment and who the canidates were and wrote their names on the board. We each wrote our votes on slips of paper and put them into a hat that was passed around the room. Now, being 6 years old the only things i knew about the two canidates were thier names, and that one had been president for four years and one had not, so when it was time to pick one to vote for I decided to vote for Bush because he had already been president and he had a silly name. Apparently this line of reasoning was the norm for the entire class (being made up of 6 and 7 year olds) because when the votes were counted Bush won by a land slide. From this experiance I concluded that republican voters have a similar mentality to that of a 6 year old. Keeping this in mind suddenly it all makes sense.

1 comment:

Michael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.