Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Episode 6: Three wishes

Taking a break from the story I've been writing (mainly due to the fact that its just not up to my hilarious standards in its current state) I think today i will talk about something different. Now I know what your thinking, and yes, the capital of Morocco is Rabat, but that doesn't have anything to do with the topic of this blog so I don't know where that's coming from, weirdo. Anyways today's topic is about the oft asked question: "If you had three wishes what would you wish for?". I know, I know, its a little cliche but hear me out. Now I've thought about this long and hard and I think I've come up with the best answer. first of all though we need to make some assumptions about said wishes. First lets assume that the wishes are of unlimited power, that is, you can wish for anything (except for more wishes of course), and second we will assume that the wishes don't expire and you can use they at any given time. With that in mind the apparent goal of the three wishes scenario would be to get everything you could possibly want in just one wish. The other two wishes could then be saved for emergency's and things of that nature. Now again I know what your thinking, and no I don't know who the king of Denmark is, what do i look like your Wikipedia? maybe try and pay attention for once in your life eh? Anyways, the wish i would make would to be able to know how to build anything i can think of. Tada! that's it. what, not impressed? maybe I should be more specific. I would wish for the ability to instantly know how to make something that does whatever i can think of, ANYTHING I can think of, even if its a machine that would defy the laws of physics. OK, but how does that get you everything you could ever want? Simple, you can make machines that can do anything right? so what do you want? Unlimited money? Sure I guess, you can make something really cool that everyone wants and sell it to some company whenever you need money, or you can make a device that would make people just give you money. Your still thinking small though, what about the ability to fly? heat-vision? talk to fish? you can do that to with a machine that could give you super powers. Immortality? why not? the ability to stop time? can do. You could even make machines that could alter reality in any way you see fit, from making it rain fish or turning the sky purple, to changing the way gravity works or making vanilla pudding the hardest substance in the universe. Anything would be possible. OK, sounds pretty awesome right? But remember you still have two more wishes left, so what do you do with those? Well the first thing that comes to mind is you might need them for emergencies, if someone gets in trouble and you don't have time to build what you need to save them for example. But one of the first things I would build would be a-in-one-survival kit that would prepare me for anything that could go wrong. So once you have that you wont have any emergencies, OK then, what else could you wish for? I thought about wishing to never run out of ideas of things to build but then you can just build a machine to pitch an infinite number of ideas to you on command. OK, so now were stuck, we have no need for anymore wishes right? not yet, but assuming you decide you build something that makes you immortal eventually you are going to run out of machines to build. At some point every problem in the universe would be solved one way or another by your machines, so then what? you would get very bored very fast. I mean you could use the a machine to change reality every half-hour or so but even that would get boring after a few billion years. You could make new universes but since you can already change anything you want in this one what would be the point? I suppose you could build a machine that makes problems for you so you could build more machines to solve them but all you would have to do would be to build a machine that breaks the one causing the problems. So now your really stuck, you have nothing to do for the rest of eternity, but fear not! with your second wish you could wish to have certain degree of randomness in the universe that your machines could not control, you could only build machines that would work around them. For example, lets say you have people on every planet in the universe, and then one day half of them decide to turn into zombies. You cant do anything to stop it from happening because your wish says your machines cant interfere but you could use them to deal with the problem (making anti-zombie breath spray or something) Anyways, so now you have things to do again, and yet you still have a wish left. I really don't know what you could wish for at that point so I'm leaving that up to you. Post a response of what you think the last wish should be and you may or may not be rewarded.








(more likely not)


1 comment:

Michael said...

I have no idea what the third wish would be mostly because I was so stuck on the fact that Denmark does not have a King, they have a Queen and her name, if my knowledge of living nobility does not desert me is Margrathe. So there, Mr. Wikipedia.